Area AK – Shaker Glen Estates (The Glen at Countryside)

The Glen at Countryside (also known as Shaker Glen) is a development of twenty-six contemporary-style homes constructed between 1960 and 1966 off Woburn Street in the eastern part of Lexington, nearly adjacent to the Woburn line. Shaker Glen embodies many of the characteristics of the original Peacock Farm development (see Area S) which met national acclaim in 1957. The award-winning, split-level “Peacock Farm” house was designed by local architect Walter Pierce. Shaker Glen was one of five later neighborhoods of “Peacock Farm” houses in Lexington built by developers Edward Green and Harmon White.

Shaker Glen Estates - Photo 1
2 Rogers Road

The development is roughly H-shaped in its layout and includes houses on Rolfe Road, Fessenden Way, Marshall Road, and Rogers Road. The land is generally level but the design of each house reflects the contours of its particular site and harmonizes with the natural wooded setting.

The “Peacock Farm” house has a distinctive low-pitched, asymmetrical gable roof with broadly overhanging eaves displaying exposed beams. Windows are arranged in horizontal bands and include single-pane glass as well as casement units with clerestory windows tucked under the eaves. The houses were designed to be sheathed in stained vertical cedar siding.
Shaker Glen Estates - Photo 2
 
5 Fessenden Way

As originally constructed, the “Peacock Farm” contemporaries contained about 1,800 square feet on three levels. Shaker Glen retains a high degree of integrity although over the years many of the houses have been enlarged.

Home diagram - shaker glenn estates.
Shaker Glen Estates - Photo 3
6 Rogers Road

To the northwest of the development is the 16.8 acre Shaker Glen Conservation Property which features the fern-lined Shaker Glen Brook and an open grassy corridor flanked by oak-hickory woods. The name Shaker Glen refers to part of the hemlock-lined glen which extends into neighboring Woburn. In the late 1700s Ann Lee, founder of the Shakers, settled temporarily at the Kendall Farm in Woburn, which included part of the glen. Nathan and Sarah Kendall were converted to the Shaker faith in 1781. But local residents were suspicious of the Shakers and the Kendalls sold the farm and left Woburn while Mother Ann Lee went on to establish a utopian religious community in Harvard, Massachusetts in 1791.

Beginning in the late 19th century, the Porter family ran a dairy, piggery, vegetable farm and apple and pear orchard in the vicinity of what is now Shaker Glen. Five greenhouses were located off Lowell Road in the vicinity of what is now Rolfe Road. Today, wild fruit trees and cultivated fruit trees added in the 1980s still attract an abundance of wildlife.

“Countryside” refers generally to this part of town and more specifically to the nearby commercial development at the intersection of Woburn and Lowell Streets. In the 1920s H. Irving Currier owned and operated a country store and gas station here. In 1938 Currier built the Countryside Restaurant on the same site. The present Countryside Plaza dates to 1953.