Area C – Hancock-Clarke Area

The Hancock-Clarke Area (Area C) was established as a local historic district by Town Meeting vote in 1956. It encompasses that section of Hancock Street from the former Boston and Maine Railroad right-of-way to Brigham Road. Also included are residences along Hancock Avenue, Brigham Road and Goodwin Road. The district includes two properties individually listed on the National Register – the Hancock-Clarke House (also a National Historic Landmark) and the General Samuel Chandler House at 8 Goodwin Road.

The centerpiece of the district and the oldest structure within its bounds, is the Hancock-Clarke House at 36 Hancock Street, constructed in 1737-8 for Rev. John Hancock and his son, Rev. Ebenezer Hancock. During the American Revolution, the house was occupied by Rev. Jonas Clarke, who hosted patriot leaders John Hancock and Samuel Adams here. It has been owned by the Lexington Historical Society since 1896.
House 1 - Hancock-Clarke Area
 
Hancock-Clarke House, 36 Hancock

The c. 1830 house at 12 Hancock Street is a typical 2 ½-story, side-gabled Federal-era dwelling. The remaining buildings along Hancock Street were constructed slightly later and most of the styles popular during that period are on display. In the 1840s Hancock Street became the most stylish place to live in Lexington.

House 2 - Hancock-Clarke Area, Lexington
18-20 Hancock Street

The neighborhood includes wide variations on the Italianate style ranging from modest bracketed gablefronts to an elaborate Italian Villa-inspired design at 8 Goodwin Road, built by prominent local architect Isaac Melvin for General Samuel Chandler in 1846 (the same year Melvin designed the First Parish Church and the High School.) In his design for the Chandler House, Melvin appears to have been influenced by A.J. Downing’s book, Cottage Residences, published in 1842.

8 Goodwin Road
8 Goodwin Road

Prolific local builder David Ainsworth Tuttle built several more modest Italianate dwellings on Hancock Street including # 22, #24, #30 & #40. Tuttle lived at 24 Hancock Street from 1865 until his death in 1906 at the age of 86. The house he designed at 30 Hancock Street was later remodeled in the early 20th century by local architect Willard D. Brown.

30 Hancock Street
30 Hancock Street

The French Second Empire style is evident in the house at 20 Hancock Street as well as the row of similar mansard-roofed cottages on Hancock Avenue constructed in the early 1870s by local builder/developer John L. Norris. Norris lived briefly at 8 Hancock Avenue and may have built that house as well. He went onto become the driving force behind the development of the Bloomfield Street neighborhood in the 1880s.

House 6 - Hancock-Clarke Area, Lexington
Hancock Avenue

The Hancock-Clarke Local Historic District also includes within its bounds several 20th century structures. Set atop a hill on the north side of the street, 41 Hancock Street is an impressive stuccoed Colonial Revival structure constructed c.1920.

House 7 - Hancock-Clarke Area, Lexington
41 Hancock Street

The houses on the north side of Hancock Street, east of Edgewood Road, were constructed in the early 1930s on land that was originally part of the Hayes Estate. The house which formerly stood at 23 Hancock Street was removed in the late 1920s, making way for the Colonial Revival, Dutch Colonial and Tudor style dwellings visible today.

House 8 - Hancock-Clarke Area, Lexington
27 & 25 Hancock Street