Area AP - Lower Taft Avenue/Brick Village

The section of Taft Avenue closest to Massachusetts Avenue dates to the mid 1930s and was part of a subdivision known as "Brick Village", laid out in 1933 on land owned by a Harry Johnson. The development is located in East Lexington, near the Arlington town line. The original owners of the houses had a variety of middle-class occupations and included a printer, salesman, accountant, mechanic, constable and store manager.

Lower Taft Ave. - photo 1
6 Taft Avenue
4 Taft Avenue

The nine contiguous dwellings covered by this area form include three Colonial Revival-style homes and six Tudor-inspired dwellings, all of which display some brick veneering on the façade.

Lower Taft Ave. - photo 3
11 Taft Avenue

In particular, the cluster of six Tudor Revival houses is notable as the only such grouping in town. The steeply-pitched front gable with central, exterior chimney is typical of the style. Varying combinations of brick and stone are used for the chimneys including random projecting brick, clinker bricks, random granite blocks and more complex stonework.

Lower Taft Ave. - photo 4
5 Taft Avenue
 
The front gable was often extended to form an arcaded wing wall or enclosed a sunporch.
 
Lower Taft Ave. - photo 5
11 Taft Avenue
 
Lower Taft Ave. - photo 6
8, 10 & 12 Taft Avenue