Area U - Five Fields

Five Fields is a community of approximately sixty contemporary homes located on Barberry Road, Field Road, Stonewall Road and Concord Avenue. It was designed and developed by The Architects Collaborative (TAC) of Cambridge and built following the success of their Six Moon Hill development (see Area R). The 80-acre parcel which TAC purchased was originally part of the Cutler Farm which extended on both sides of what is now Route 2. The farmland was divided by stone walls into five fields, thus giving the development its name. Part of the Cutler barn foundation was incorporated into the basement of the pre-fab contemporary home at 502 Concord Avenue, constructed in 1958.

Ad for Five Fields Property

1 Field Road
1 Field Road

TAC divided the land into 68 house lots and provided for twenty acres of common land. Ground was broken in 1951 and by 1957 all of the lots had been sold. TAC envisioned a planned community of well-designed, well-sited, and moderately-priced houses. In order to keep prices low, TAC offered standard plans incorporating some mass-produced components such as roof trusses. Originally, three house types were built: a one-story house for flat sites, a two-story version of the same model on steep slopes, and a split level appropriate for gentle slopes. Later plans allowed more opportunities for custom design but were more expensive. The original Five Field houses had vertical redwood siding and pitched roofs and resembled variants of the Ranch style.

 
House 3 - Five Fields
23 Barberry Road

Later houses had flat or shed roofs with wide overhangs and display more of an International Style influence. Inside, the homes feature an open living/dining/kitchen area with oak floors, plaster walls and ceilings and metal window sash with smaller windows generally oriented toward the street.

32 Barberry Road
32 Barberry Road
Photograph by Paul Doherty

The house at 32 Barberry Road was originally constructed for Genie and Paul Wilson in 1953. It is one of two Model "D" houses built in Five Fields. TAC's original plans did not call for garages or carports. In this case, one was added in 2005.

For twenty years after the establishment of the neighborhood, TAC approval had to be obtained for additions. The restriction expired in the early 1970s. Today, almost all of the houses have been modified or added onto over the years, obscuring what was originally a neighborhood of houses built as variations on a few standard plans.

House 6 - Five Fields
470 Concord Avenue

Five Fields also includes approximately ten houses custom designed by TAC architects. The house at 510 Concord Avenue was designed by TAC in 1956 for Lilah and Leon Grossier. It is distinguished from others in Five Fields by its steel frame construction. The design for the house was well received and appeared in the May 1958 issue of Better Homes and Gardens with the house plan available for purchase.

510 Concord Ave.
510 Concord Avenue

The house at 17 Barberry Road was designed in 1960 by Alison P. Goodwin of TAC in collaboration with and for Hideo Sasaki, a noted landscape architect. The house incorporates many references to the original owners' Japanese heritage. Designs for the house appeared in the architectural publication, Progressive Architecture, in November 1960. A major addition was constructed in 1984.

17 Barbery Road
17 Barberry Road
Photograph by Paul Doherty